Essential Oils Safe for Kids
Are Essential Oils Safe for Kids?
Are essential oils really safe for kids? If used with caution children can benefit from aromatherapy just like adults. But there are a few things to keep in mind when using essential oils for and around children:
- Essential oils are heavily concentrated. Always use a diffuser or a carrier oil to dilute your oils.
- Not all oils are safe for all age groups. Great caution should be used in the case of newborns because neonatal skin does not fully mature in till 3 months of age.
- Introduce essential oils one at a time to test for any allergic reactions.
When in doubt, it’s good to consult an essential oil book or other professional reference source for suggested dilution ratios. We recommend the book Essential Oil Safety, written by world renowned essential oil expert Robert Tisserand and his co-author, Rodney Young. Considered the most evidence-based resource available, Essential Oil Safety took 10+ years to write and contains over 4000 citations.
Benefits of Essential Oils for Kids
Children can benefit from essential oils in a variety of ways, ranging from simple self soothing to managing ADHD. Here’s a list of potential benefits kids can receive from diluting essential oils!
- Soothing nerves and anxiety
- Falling Asleep Naturally
- Better Concentration
- Introducing mindfulness
- Relief from cough and congestion
- Treating symptoms of ADHD
- Managing symptoms of Autism
Best Essential Oils for Kids 2 & Under
When used cautiously, you can begin introducing essential oils to young children, even toddlers. Our favorite way to begin teaching children about the power of essential oils is with the children’s book The Sunflower!
It’s important to note that the recommended dilution ratio for this age group is .25% (1 drop per 4 teaspoons carrier oil)
Here’s a list of oils that can be diffused safely for ages 2 and under.
- Jasmine – Calming
- Ylang ylang – Relaxing.
- Lavender - Calming, also helpful for soothing bug bites.
- Ginger - helpful for digestion
- Juniper Berry - Supports respiratory function
- Lemon - supports immune function
- Chamomile - supports restful sleep
- Basil - mood elevator
- Frankincense - supports immune function
- Clary Sage - relaxation and restful sleep
For more recommendations check out the comprehensive list in Essential Oil Safety!
Best Essential Oils for Kids 3-6
Essential oils safe for kids 3-6 includes all the above listed oils. But after age three, the following oils are safe to use “topically” - as in applied directly to the skin. When applying essential oils directly to the skin, be sure to follow the dilution recommendations exactly!
- Jasmine absolute - (about 4 drops in two tablespoons carrier oil)
- Lemongrass - (about 7 drops in four tablespoons carrier oil)
- Ylang ylang - (about 5 drops in two tablespoons carrier oil)
Looking for the perfect essential oils diffuser for young kids? You’ve got to try Cuddles the Bear!
Cuddles is a quality made teddy bear with genuine leather pads on his heart and feet especially designed for diffusing essential oils!
Kids get all the benefits of diffusing oils while snuggling a cuddly friend! Perfect for nap-time and car time!
Essential Oils for Children 7-11
Essential oils for kids 7-11 includes every oil in the previous categories, but after age six it is considered safe to apply the following oils as well.
- eucalyptus radiata
- eucalyptus globulus - (1 drop per teaspoon of carrier oil)
Essential Oils Starter Kit for Kids!
Ready to get your kids started with with essential oils? Grab the limited time gift set!